IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT COMMENTS

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN DISABLED

Because of spam, I personally moderate all comments left on my blog. However, because of health issues, I will not be able to do so in the future.

If you have a personal question about LI or any related topic you can send me an email at stevecarper@cs.com. I will try to respond.

Otherwise, this blog is now a legacy site, meaning that I am not updating it any longer. The basic information about LI is still sound. However, product information and weblinks may be out of date.

In addition, my old website, Planet Lactose, has been taken down because of the age of the information. Unfortunately, that means links to the site on this blog will no longer work.

For quick offline reference, you can purchase Planet Lactose: The Best of the Blog as an ebook on Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com. Almost 100,000 words on LI, allergies, milk products, milk-free products, and the genetics of intolerance, along with large helpings of the weirdness that is the Net.

Monday, January 29, 2007

No-Milk List's Tenth Anniversary

The NO-MILK (Casein/Lactose/Milk-Free) List is a creature from the early days of the Internet. Before there was much to the World Wide Web, people communicated via email topic groups. Think of them much like Yahoo or Google Groups today, but ones done entirely through one's email program.

Ten years ago, yesterday, Don Wiss, creator of the links webpage NoMilk.com - The No Milk Page:
Lactose Maldigestion/Milk Allergy/Casein Intolerance
, created an equivalent No-Milk list for those who wanted personal chat and experiences on avoiding milk.

I joined as soon as I heard about it, which was within days of its creation. It's waxed and waned over the ten years, with people joining and leaving and topics depending on who was active at any given time.

I have a lengthy description of how to use the list on my web site on the No-Milk List page, which I am giving myself permission to quote from.

If you are looking for people to talk to about living a nondairy life, you should take a look at the NO-MILK (Casein/Lactose/Milk-Free) List.

Messages can be posted to everyone on the list to ask for help or supply answers to others. Archived resources, on parve foods or nondairy recipes, for example, are also available at http://listserv.icors.org/archives/no-milk.html

I should warn you that Lactose Intolerance is not really the major topic on the list. Most postings are from parents of severely allergic children, whose concerns are somewhat different from our own. They must rigorously avoid foods with even the slightest hint of a dairy product, something I do not recommend for the vast majority of people with LI.

However, I learn things from the postings all the time, so why not check it out for a while in any case?

To subscribe, send an email to:
LISTSERV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

with these words in the body of the e-mail:
SUB NO-MILK YourFirstName YourLastName

When you subscribe you will get all the instructions for the list so you can configure it to your own interests. However, I find it easier to receive each day's posting in a single e-mail. To do this, include SET NO-MILK DIGEST in your e-mail to the list. If you want individual e-mails use SET NO-MILK MAIL instead.

Give it a try. Questions and comments are always welcome.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: