IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT COMMENTS

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN DISABLED

Because of spam, I personally moderate all comments left on my blog. However, because of health issues, I will not be able to do so in the future.

If you have a personal question about LI or any related topic you can send me an email at stevecarper@cs.com. I will try to respond.

Otherwise, this blog is now a legacy site, meaning that I am not updating it any longer. The basic information about LI is still sound. However, product information and weblinks may be out of date.

In addition, my old website, Planet Lactose, has been taken down because of the age of the information. Unfortunately, that means links to the site on this blog will no longer work.

For quick offline reference, you can purchase Planet Lactose: The Best of the Blog as an ebook on Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com. Almost 100,000 words on LI, allergies, milk products, milk-free products, and the genetics of intolerance, along with large helpings of the weirdness that is the Net.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Digestive Advantage

I received an email from Gerti Sonderquist of Digestive Advantage with updated information about their product. I've made the changes to all the page on my web site, so it's a good time to mention them here as well.

Digestive Advantage is one of a couple of products with a different approach to combating the symptoms of lactose intolerance (LI). They all take advantage, pun intended, of the fact that LI symptoms have two causes. First, undigested lactose will pull water out into the intestines and create diarrhea. Second, undigested lactose may be fermented by bacteria that naturally live in the colon, creating gas and bloating.

Different people may get symptoms from one or both of these causes, depending on any number of factors. Lactase taken with food should help most everybody, but it's a good idea to also change the bacteria to the type of bacteria that digests lactose rather than ferments it.

Digestive Advantage does have lactase in it, but since you take it only once a day, I don't consider that a help. Lactase needs to be taken with food that contains dairy. (See When to Take Your Lactase.)

More important, from my perspective, it contains a "patented, proprietary Lactobacillus culture." Once this culture colonizes – takes over – your colon, your symptoms should improve.

I've received a large number of emails from readers who tell me that Digestive Advantage really works as advertised.

"I tried Digestive Advantage yesterday, and it worked great. I waited until Saturday so I could be at home for this experiment (I'm sure you understand why). I took two caplets in the morning, then had cheese, milk chocolate, and pizza with extra cheese throughout the day. I kept waiting to get violently ill, but I was fine all day yesterday and today. By the way, I am SEVERELY lactose intolerant---even a little bit of whey in a cookie and I am sick for hours. Hope this helps."

"I have been using Digestive Advantage for a little over a year and I love it. I take one pill a day and can now eat many things that I could not before. I still avoid high lactose foods, but can now eat things like pizza without discomfort."

"I've been taking this product for about a month and a half. It works great! I'm in sales and marking and have to take clients to lunch and dinner quite often. I was always fearful of eating out, especially with clients as diarrhea would start just about immediately after eating. I travel extensively as well and being on an airplane was nerve racking! This product is the only thing I have found that gives me confidence and relief of my symptoms. I can live my life again!"


I cannot guarantee that Digestive Advantage will work this well – or at all – for everybody. If you would like to try it, Gerti reminded me that:
we give out free 8 day samples for anyone who is interested by calling toll free 800.456.0276 or going to our website – www.ganedenbiotech.com


Other contact info:
Ganeden Biotech, Inc.
5915 Landerbrook Drive, Suite 304
Mayfield Heights, OH 44124

440-229-5200 Main Phone
440-229-5240 Fax

email: info@ganedenbiotech.com

Ganendan also makes a line of other digestive lactobacillus products. And it's now appearing in supermarkets in the digestive aids or laxatives section of supermarkets. A full page of coupons appeared in my local paper recently. You can also find them on Internet shopping sites if they're not in your local stores.

Let me know how they work for you.

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am new to the "LI world". recent testing indicate that I am LI however I'm not sure I'm completely convinced that is the sole source of the problem. I've tried taking lactaid pills but didn't know how many to take so now I'm trying, as of yesterday, the DA product. both products seem to cause many of these LI symptoms - gas, bloating, nausous and typically the unpleasant outcome. Is that common when you first start on these pills? I felt so awful today, I'm not looking forward to taking more tomorrow but if I know this is "normal" to start and then it gets better - I'll stick with to give it a real try....any feedback!! thanks.

Anonymous said...

I am having the same symptoms as yaffiegirl3. Gurgling in the stomach (not intestines) and a sour feeling.

Cheryl