IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT COMMENTS

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN DISABLED

Because of spam, I personally moderate all comments left on my blog. However, because of health issues, I will not be able to do so in the future.

If you have a personal question about LI or any related topic you can send me an email at stevecarper@cs.com. I will try to respond.

Otherwise, this blog is now a legacy site, meaning that I am not updating it any longer. The basic information about LI is still sound. However, product information and weblinks may be out of date.

In addition, my old website, Planet Lactose, has been taken down because of the age of the information. Unfortunately, that means links to the site on this blog will no longer work.

For quick offline reference, you can purchase Planet Lactose: The Best of the Blog as an ebook on Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com. Almost 100,000 words on LI, allergies, milk products, milk-free products, and the genetics of intolerance, along with large helpings of the weirdness that is the Net.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

LI Celebrity Alert: Victoria Rowell


My, the PR people at Lactaid have been busy lately. First they conscript Angélica Vale for a Lactaid milk ad campaign, and now they announce that "Victoria Rowell joins LACTAID® Milk to educate lactose intolerant African-Americans about the importance of calcium and Vitamin D."

From the press release:

Today, an estimated 40% of African-American women in the U.S. over age 50 have either low bone mass or osteoporosis2, where bones become increasingly brittle and painful. Consuming calcium-rich foods and beverages daily can help reduce the risk for these conditions, however there are limited options available for people who are lactose intolerant and experience stomach discomfort after consuming dairy-based products. Today, actress, author and philanthropist Victoria Rowell joins LACTAID® Milk, the nation's #1 lactose-free milk brand, to educate lactose intolerant African-Americans about the importance of calcium and Vitamin D and the products available to help manage symptoms easily and effectively.


"Lactose intolerance is a common condition for African-Americans. I am also lactose intolerant and used to avoid dairy because I did not want the stomach discomfort that followed," said Rowell. "Over the years, I have realized that avoiding dairy can put me at risk for osteoporosis. Products like LACTAID® Milk and LACTAID® Fast Act Dietary Supplements help me manage my lactose intolerance without eliminating dairy from my diet, putting my mind at ease about my bone health now and in the future. I also love that I can still enjoy my favorite foods with family and friends."

People who are lactose intolerant -- a condition where the body is deficient in the lactase enzyme which breaks down lactose, the milk sugar in dairy foods and beverages -- often avoid dairy products altogether. According to the National Institutes of Health, African-American women consume only half of the recommended daily amount of calcium3. As a result, these women run a higher risk of nutrient deficiencies that may affect bone health and lead to related conditions, like osteoporosis, later in life.

(2) National Osteoporosis Foundation, Fast Facts

(3)
National Institutes of Health, Osteoporosis and African American Women, May 2006
For more information on lactose intolerance and LACTAID® Brand products, visit Lactaid.com.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: