IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT COMMENTS

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN DISABLED

Because of spam, I personally moderate all comments left on my blog. However, because of health issues, I will not be able to do so in the future.

If you have a personal question about LI or any related topic you can send me an email at stevecarper@cs.com. I will try to respond.

Otherwise, this blog is now a legacy site, meaning that I am not updating it any longer. The basic information about LI is still sound. However, product information and weblinks may be out of date.

In addition, my old website, Planet Lactose, has been taken down because of the age of the information. Unfortunately, that means links to the site on this blog will no longer work.

For quick offline reference, you can purchase Planet Lactose: The Best of the Blog as an ebook on Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com. Almost 100,000 words on LI, allergies, milk products, milk-free products, and the genetics of intolerance, along with large helpings of the weirdness that is the Net.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Thoughts on Bestsellers

For the past week-and-a-half, I've been listing the ten books that sold the most copies through my Milk-Free Bookstore since the start of 2006.

For the record, here's the complete list.

Milk Is Not for Every Body, by Steve Carper
The Milk Free Kitchen, by Beth Kidder
101 Fabulous Dairy-Free Desserts, by Annette Pia Hall
Secrets of Lactose Free Cooking, by Arlene Burlant
Totally Dairy Free Cooking, by Louis Lanza with Laura Morton
The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook, by Cybele Pascal
The Gluten, Wheat and Dairy Free Cookbook, by Nicola Graimes
The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook, by Jo Stepaniak
The Complete Vegan Cookbook, by Susann Geiskopf-Hadler and Mindy Toomay
Simple Treats: A Wheat-Free Dairy-Free Guide, by Ellen Abraham

OK, no surprise that my book came out on top. My site, after all. And not much of a surprise that the top five books were all lactose-free or dairy-free books. My site is a specialty lactose intolerance site, one of the first and one of the biggest.

No, what surprised me was that the books that made the list are so old. They're classics, and there are good reasons they're classics.

But where are the new books aimed at those of us who are lactose intolerant? We spent so many years being ignored. Have we returned to that era? Or is it just that all purpose allergy books fill the need as well if not better?

If you know of good new dairy-free or lactose-free cookbooks being published, send me an email at stevecarper . com.

In the meantime, congratulations to all those whose books made the list. You're the top of well over 100 titles sold over the last couple of years, and you appealed to a tough specialty audience. You most certainly did something right, and very well.

I'll change the Top Ten Bestsellers page on the bookstore site just as soon as possible.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: