IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT COMMENTS

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN DISABLED

Because of spam, I personally moderate all comments left on my blog. However, because of health issues, I will not be able to do so in the future.

If you have a personal question about LI or any related topic you can send me an email at stevecarper@cs.com. I will try to respond.

Otherwise, this blog is now a legacy site, meaning that I am not updating it any longer. The basic information about LI is still sound. However, product information and weblinks may be out of date.

In addition, my old website, Planet Lactose, has been taken down because of the age of the information. Unfortunately, that means links to the site on this blog will no longer work.

For quick offline reference, you can purchase Planet Lactose: The Best of the Blog as an ebook on Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com. Almost 100,000 words on LI, allergies, milk products, milk-free products, and the genetics of intolerance, along with large helpings of the weirdness that is the Net.

Monday, September 28, 2009

Milk Not Dangerous

I don't normally take potshots at columnists at college student newspapers.

Humans are the only animals on the planet that drink another animal’s milk. Thus, by definition, drinking cows’ milk is extremely unnatural.

OK, that's the argument I hate the most in the world. Humans are the only animal who do ten million things. Humans are the only animal who cook foods. Humans are...

Where was I? Right. Beth Mendenhall is just a columnist for the Kansas State Collegian. I can hold professional reporters up to ridicule if they get basic facts and information wrong, but I can't really expect a student to be expert on every subject.
In fact, 60 percent of adults worldwide are unable to effectively digest lactose, the main sugar found in milk. So why do Americans insist on consuming massive amounts of dairy products?

Stop that. Stop quoting. You're just taunting me.

You know who's supposed to be correcting the illogical and ignorance of college students? College professors. I don't know if the Collegian runs many articles by professors, but they did the next best thing. They published a point by point rebuttal by Ben Wileman, a graduate student in veterinary medicine - a pretty advanced student since he already has a Dr. in front of his name - under the title of Milk not a dangerous thing for people to drink.

Beth wrote the usual drivel that can be found at a million places on the Internet. There is absolutely no reason to subject yourself to it. The piece by Dr. Wileman has sense and facts. I recommend it. Please read it. I hope that he goes on to have this calming and edifying effect on legions of students in the future.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: