IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT COMMENTS

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN DISABLED

Because of spam, I personally moderate all comments left on my blog. However, because of health issues, I will not be able to do so in the future.

If you have a personal question about LI or any related topic you can send me an email at stevecarper@cs.com. I will try to respond.

Otherwise, this blog is now a legacy site, meaning that I am not updating it any longer. The basic information about LI is still sound. However, product information and weblinks may be out of date.

In addition, my old website, Planet Lactose, has been taken down because of the age of the information. Unfortunately, that means links to the site on this blog will no longer work.

For quick offline reference, you can purchase Planet Lactose: The Best of the Blog as an ebook on Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com. Almost 100,000 words on LI, allergies, milk products, milk-free products, and the genetics of intolerance, along with large helpings of the weirdness that is the Net.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Top 50 Allergy Blogs. Guess Who's Number Five

What's the banner line under my title? "The latest news on avoiding dairy products if you are lactose intolerant, have milk allergies, are a vegan, or want to keep kosher."

I mean that. I don't concentrate on allergies specifically, but I try to provide as much information as I can gather specifically on dairy allergies and generally on food allergies that have info for those who want to avoid dairy.

That's why it was such a pleasant surprise to named one of the 50 Best Food Allergy Blogs by Nursing Schools.net.

Here's what they had to say, and the listing of their first five.


The following blogs, listed in no particular order, have lent their voices to the community at large as a means of shedding light on the undeniably challenging trials they must face. With deeply personal stories, recipes, research and commentary, they take to the web and find ways to quell the suffering of those for whom gluten/wheat, dairy, eggs, corn, soy, seafood, tree nuts, peanuts and much more may mean anything from short-term illness to death. Their perseverance, strength and sociopolitical efforts ought not go ignored or brushed aside.

However, please do not take the statements here as medical fact. What works in one patient may not necessarily prove worthwhile for another's needs. Nothing replaces expert consultation with a medical professional the blogs here merely provide support and suggestions.

1. The Food Allergy Queen

Kishari Sing loves food, even working as a caterer for a while. Unfortunately, she also suffers from a number of different allergies including rice, soy, tomatoes, garlic, wheat, tree nuts and much more. But she has applied her creativity and culinary experience to creating excellent recipes for others in her situation, and The Food Allergy Queen is essential reading because of it.

2. Food Allergy Assistant

Food Allergy Assistant provides detailed information on life with various food allergies, with plenty of resources available on support groups, coaches, recipes and more.

3. Please Don't Pass the Nuts

A social worker who both suffers from and works with food allergies keeps an absolutely essential blog about maneuvering through life saddled with such conditions. Anyone with any sort of food-related allergy or asthma needs to bookmark or subscribe immediately.

4. Allergy Moms

Parents of children with strict food allergies band together to exchange ideas, information and recipes to keep them as safe and healthy as possible. Be sure to check out the rest of the website as well!

5. Planet Lactose

Planet Lactose Publishing specializes in dairy-free, kosher and vegan cookbooks for anyone with staunch dietary restrictions. They keep a great blog to inform readers of their latest offerings.

If you're coming here from that blog and reading me for the first time, let me stress that I do much more than point you to the new cookbooks that you might want to check out. I list new dairy-free and lactose-free foods, report on clinical testing and new allergy symptom relief testing, correct mistakes made by overenthusiastic or overcredulous websites, and generally keep my eye open for anything and everything that you need to know.



I am an information provider. I don't review or do tastings or create recipes. Those other blogs on the list do a great job of that, I'm sure. My role is unique. I make sure that you get correct, up-to-date, factual treatments of critical issues. I'm not kind to those who don't live up to those standards. I've been writing about lactose intolerance and related issues for a quarter century, so I have a huge depth of experience to draw on.

I also have a website, Steve Carper's Lactose Intolerance Clearinghouse. I've pretty much stopped updating it since it was so much easier to post new information here in blog form. Even so, there are over 100 pages of information on it, and much of it is still as good as the day I started the site in the ancient era of 1997. Most of it's a lot newer, of course. You'll find many pages on books and dairy-free products there that can't be found in a single place elsewhere.

Want more? There's my gigantic book of earlier blog postings, revised and updated and sorted into convenient categories, at Planet Lactose Publishing.

And please stop back here again. I'll have something new and delightfully interesting for you to read.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: