IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT COMMENTS

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN DISABLED

Because of spam, I personally moderate all comments left on my blog. However, because of health issues, I will not be able to do so in the future.

If you have a personal question about LI or any related topic you can send me an email at stevecarper@cs.com. I will try to respond.

Otherwise, this blog is now a legacy site, meaning that I am not updating it any longer. The basic information about LI is still sound. However, product information and weblinks may be out of date.

In addition, my old website, Planet Lactose, has been taken down because of the age of the information. Unfortunately, that means links to the site on this blog will no longer work.

For quick offline reference, you can purchase Planet Lactose: The Best of the Blog as an ebook on Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com. Almost 100,000 words on LI, allergies, milk products, milk-free products, and the genetics of intolerance, along with large helpings of the weirdness that is the Net.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Goat Milk No Cure for Lactose Intolerance

I could do a post about the ignorance of people concerning goat milk almost every day. It would bore you and raise my blood pressure, so I don't. I said it all last year when I asked Goat Milk. Will the Ignorance Ever Stop?

In that post I wrote, "Goat milk dairy products will contain almost exactly the same amount of lactose as cow's milk dairy products." That's true. It's true today. It was true fifty years ago, too.

So how do you explain this, Mr. Smarty Pants?, I hear you ask when you read:

"I am standing here in front of you today because my father was born lactose intolerant," Joey Hoegger of Hoegger Supply tells his audience.

When Hoegger’s father was born and couldn't stomach the cow's milk, Hoegger's grandfather was advised to use goat's milk instead.


(The credulous reporter is Adelia Ladson of The Moultrie Observer.

If goat milk has exactly the same amount of lactose as cow's milk then how did Joey Hoegger's father survive? Because he wasn't lactose intolerant. He might have been allergic to cow's milk, though. Goat's milk does have a different set of proteins than does cow's milk, so some people who are allergic to the one are not allergic to the other.

As I keep repeating, however, lactose intolerance and milk protein allergy are two entirely different things, having no relation to one another at all. They merely both involve milk.

Since this can literally be life and death, the distinction is critical. Let's hope that doctors can explain themselves better today than they could when Mr. Hoegger was born.

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

pinky black said...

lactose intolerance is the inability to digest lactose. whether it's goats milk or cow's milk as long as it has lactose in it, it's never a cure for lactose intolerance. as easy as that. i agree with you Steve. not because he (Hoegger's father) can't stomach cow's milk does mean he's lactose intolerant. there are other factors to consider.