IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT COMMENTS

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN DISABLED

Because of spam, I personally moderate all comments left on my blog. However, because of health issues, I will not be able to do so in the future.

If you have a personal question about LI or any related topic you can send me an email at stevecarper@cs.com. I will try to respond.

Otherwise, this blog is now a legacy site, meaning that I am not updating it any longer. The basic information about LI is still sound. However, product information and weblinks may be out of date.

In addition, my old website, Planet Lactose, has been taken down because of the age of the information. Unfortunately, that means links to the site on this blog will no longer work.

For quick offline reference, you can purchase Planet Lactose: The Best of the Blog as an ebook on Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com. Almost 100,000 words on LI, allergies, milk products, milk-free products, and the genetics of intolerance, along with large helpings of the weirdness that is the Net.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Lactose-Free Statin Drug Lescol

Statin drugs are prescribed to reduce cholesterol, making them some of the most commonly used drugs in America. Unfortunately, nearly every one of them uses lactose as an inactive ingredient.

Several years ago I had hopes that a new statin drug that didn't cause muscle pain, a common side-effect, might also be lactose-free. No such luck. Ezetrol (ezetimibe) does contain lactose now that it's on the market.

There is one brand name that doesn't. Lescol.

Lescol doesn't work for everybody and has side-effects of its own, as a correspondent recently wrote me. I tried to find a substitute, but no luck.

The alternative is to pay an additional fee and go to a compounding pharmacy. They make up prescriptions to order with offending ingredients removed. I wrote about them in Try a Compounding Pharmacy for Lactose-Free Medications and it's time I gave you a reminder.

The links I gave then are still good.

There seem to be two major trade organizations.

The Professional Compounding Centers of America (PCCA) has more than 3500 members, many of them outside American in Canada, Australia, Europe and New Zealand. To find a compounding pharmacist close to you, call them at 1-800-331-2498 or email customerservice@pccarx.com.

The International Academy of Compounding Pharmacists (IACP) represents more than "1,800 pharmacists, physicians, technicians and patients."

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My compounding pharmacy in incline village, Nevada told me there are no compounding materials available to compound statin drugs. Can you recommend a compounding pharmacy that does compound a statin?
j