IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT COMMENTS

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN DISABLED

Because of spam, I personally moderate all comments left on my blog. However, because of health issues, I will not be able to do so in the future.

If you have a personal question about LI or any related topic you can send me an email at stevecarper@cs.com. I will try to respond.

Otherwise, this blog is now a legacy site, meaning that I am not updating it any longer. The basic information about LI is still sound. However, product information and weblinks may be out of date.

In addition, my old website, Planet Lactose, has been taken down because of the age of the information. Unfortunately, that means links to the site on this blog will no longer work.

For quick offline reference, you can purchase Planet Lactose: The Best of the Blog as an ebook on Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com. Almost 100,000 words on LI, allergies, milk products, milk-free products, and the genetics of intolerance, along with large helpings of the weirdness that is the Net.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Tricked-Out Nog

This is so weird I had to share it.

Erin Hartigan wrote about hot winter drinks in the USA Weekend magazine supplement.

The first sentence ought to be enough to warn you:

"Hot booze hits you quicker and gets into every nerve," says David Wondrich, author of Imbibe!

So I really shouldn't have been surprised when I got down to "Milky drinks are warming but heavy." Heavy? Heavier than what? Heavier than... almond milk? Really? And heavier than cognac mixed with... Well, I'll let you read it for yourself. You wouldn't believe me.
"We create a guilt-free noggish drink, the Chai Almond Zoom," [cocktail caterer and bar consultant Christy] Pope says. It has cognac or rum plus chai tea and almond milk. "It's dairy-free but incorporates wintry spices, like cardamom and cinnamon, to really warm you." Faux-nogs also can be made with other flavors. "Any flavor you like to eat can become [or infuse] a liquid form," [Eben Freeman of New York City's Tailor restaurant and bar] says. "Add [a chunk of] fruitcake to cognac. Find your most unusual, personal food memory or preference and infuse it."

A step back to the planet of reality for a moment. Alcohol is not warming, it is faux-warming. It dilates the blood vessels, which makes you feel temporarily warmer but also has the effect of causing you to lose heat more quickly.

Cognac and rum are intoxicants. Adding almond milk to them instead of cow's milk doesn't lessen any guilt for any aftereffects.

I'm not a teetotaler, and I won't guilt-trip you for drinking alcohol. As long as it's done in moderation. And without ridiculous anti-scientific rationales for its consumption. And free of fruitcake.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: