IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT COMMENTS

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN DISABLED

Because of spam, I personally moderate all comments left on my blog. However, because of health issues, I will not be able to do so in the future.

If you have a personal question about LI or any related topic you can send me an email at stevecarper@cs.com. I will try to respond.

Otherwise, this blog is now a legacy site, meaning that I am not updating it any longer. The basic information about LI is still sound. However, product information and weblinks may be out of date.

In addition, my old website, Planet Lactose, has been taken down because of the age of the information. Unfortunately, that means links to the site on this blog will no longer work.

For quick offline reference, you can purchase Planet Lactose: The Best of the Blog as an ebook on Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com. Almost 100,000 words on LI, allergies, milk products, milk-free products, and the genetics of intolerance, along with large helpings of the weirdness that is the Net.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Secondary Lactose Intolerance

Most people in the world have what is known as primary lactose intolerance. That means they are genetically destined to lose the ability to manufacture the lactase enzyme that digests lactose as they grow older.

That's not the only route to LI, though. Anybody of any genetic heritage can lose the ability to manufacture lactase if surgery, disease, drugs, or other catastrophic events disrupt the intestines.

Here's an example taken from an article written by Ellen Rowland in the Hagerstown MD Herald-Mail.

Since my bariatric surgery Feb. 20, I have lost 50 pounds. I am very happy with that. Most people tell me that they can see a difference. ...

Do I have any regrets having this surgery done? No. I am pleased with the way things have turned out. If you were to ask me early in April, my answer might have been different because I was getting nauseated and didn't know why. Now, I feel great. ...

I am eating solid foods, and for the most part, I digest them well, as long as I chew thoroughly and eat slowly. I know when my stomach is full and I just push the plate away, because if I were to continue eating I'd just throw up. It's not worth it. ...

I also discovered that I am now lactose intolerant. I became sick to my stomach after I would drink my protein shake and sometimes whatever I ate. But I do not drink milk much anyway, so that is not a great loss.

Bookmark and Share

No comments: